All of the books in the bibliography are housed in the Illinois History and Lincoln Collections at the University of Illinois. This page is divided into the following categories: Artifacts and Memorabilia, Collections, Compilations, Miscellaneous, Photographs, Portraits, and Prints.
"Artifacts and Memorabilia" contains books on items such as coins, medals, and ribbons. "Collections" has books on items in specific research collections. For example, the Indiana Historical Society. "Compilations" is books with images in multiple mediums. For example, a book containing prints, photographs, and paintings. The rest of the categories are topical.
Artifacts and Memorabilia:
Cartoons and Caricature:
- Warren, Louis Austin. Lincoln on Metal, Silk, and Paper: Cultivating the Collective Instinct in Children. Fort Wayne, IN: Lincoln National Life Insurance Co., [1929?].
- Shaw, Albert. Abraham Lincoln. New York: The Review of Reviews Corporation,
- ____. Abraham Lincoln in Contemporary Caricature. New York: The Review of Reviews Co., 1901.
- Wilson, Rufus Rockwell. Lincoln in Caricature. New York: The G. A. Powers Printing Co., 1903.
- Holzer, Harold, ed. Abraham Lincoln: Portrayed in the Collections of the Indiana
Historical Society. Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Society Press, 2006.
- Gabor Boritt, ed. The Lincoln Enigma: The Changing Faces of an American Icon.
New York: Oxford University Press, 2001.
- Byrd, Cecil K. and Ward W. Moore. Abraham Lincoln in Print and Photograph: A Picture History from the Lilly Library. New York: Dover, 1997.
- Cunliffe, Marcus. The Doubled Images of Lincoln and Washington. Gettysburg, PA: Gettysburg College, 1988.
- Exhibition of the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln, Painted from Life by Jesse Atwood. Chicago: Young's Art Galleries, 1916.
- Hanser, Richard and Donald B. Hyatt. Meet Mr. Lincoln. New York: Golden Press, 1960.
- Holzer, Harold. Lincoln Seen and Heard. Lawrence: University of Kansas Press, 2000.
- ____. Standing Tall: The Heroic Image of Abraham Lincoln. Gettysburg, PA: Gettysburg College, 2004.
- Kunhardt, Philip B, Jr., Philip B. Kunhardt III, and Peter W. Kunhardt. Lincoln, An Illustrated Biography. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1992.
- Rogers, Agnes. Abraham Lincoln: A Biography in Pictures. Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1939.
- Lowe, James L. Lincoln Postcard Catalog. Folsom, PA: self-published, 1967.
- Milgram, James W. Abraham Lincoln Illustrated on Envelopes and Letter Paper, 1860-1865. Northbrook, IL: Northbrook Publishing Company, 1984.
- Truett, Randle Bond. A. Lincoln: U.S. Stamps and Covers, 1866 thru 1960. Woodville, OH: Artopages, 1961.
- ____. Lincoln in Philately. Washington: Sesquicentennial, 1959.
- Hamilton, Charles and Lloyd Ostendorf. Lincoln in Photographs: An Album of Every Known Pose. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, 1963.
- ____. Lincoln in Photographs: An Album of Every Known Pose. Dayton, OH: Morningside House, 1985.
- Lorant, Stefan. Lincoln: His Life in Photographs. New York: Duell, Sloan and Pearce, 1941.
- Mellon, James, ed. The Face of Lincoln. New York: Viking Press, 1979.
- Meserve, Frederick Hill.A Brief Sketch of the Photographs of Lincoln. New York: Quill Club, c. 19uu.
- ____. My Experience in Collecting Historical Photographs. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University, 1954.
- ____.This is Abraham Lincoln. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University, 1941.
- Meserve, Frederick Hill and Carl Sandburg. The Photographs of Abraham Lincoln. New York: Harcourt, Brace and Company, 1944.
- Meserve, Frederick Hill and Carl W. Schaefer. Frederick Hill Meserve Tribute: Addresses of Frederick Meserve Hill and Carl W Schaefer on the Occasion of the Presentation of the Photographs of Abraham Lincoln to Lincoln Memorial University. Harrogate, TN: Lincoln Memorial University, 1941.
- Neely, Mark E., Jr. and Harold Holzer. The Lincoln Family Album: Photographs from the Personal Collection of a Historic American Family. New York: Doubleday, 1990.
- Ostendorf, Lloyd. "Lincoln and His Photographs" in Historical Bulletin, no. 27. 1972.
- ____. Lincoln's Photographs: A Complete Album. Dayton, OH: Rockywood Press, 1998.
- Pratt, Harry E. Lincoln's Inner Circle: Thirty-one Pictures of Abraham Lincoln and His Family, Cabinet, Home, Statues and Tomb. Springfield: Illinois State Historical Society, 1955.
- Sullivan, George. Picturing Lincoln: Famous Photographs that Popularized the President. New York: Clarion, 2000.
- Vroegindewey, Gary. Abraham Lincoln: Vroegindewey Collection. Columbia, MO: self-published, 1986.
- Walton, Clyde C. Abraham Lincoln Photographs. Springfield, IL: Illinois State Historical Library, 1959.
- A Newly Discovered Portrait by Thomas Buchanan Read, Painted in 1864. Chicago: c, 1933.
- McMurty, Gerald R. Beardless Portraits of Abraham Lincoln Painted from Life. Fort Wayne, IN: Public Library of Fort Wayne and Allen County, 1962.
- Portraits of Eminent Men. New York: Barmore, 19uu.
- Truesdell, Winfred Porter. Engraved and Lithographed Portraits of Abraham Lincoln. Champlain: Troutsdale Press, 1933.
- Turner, Justin G. A Note on Solomon Nuñes Carvalho and His Portrait of Abraham Lincoln. Los Angeles: Plantin Press, 1960.
- Wilson, Rufus Rockwell. Lincoln in Portraiture. New York: Press of the Pioneers, 1935.
- As We Think of Him: A Series of Illustrations of Young Abraham Lincoln. Chicago: Illinois State Historical Society, 1956.
- Holzer, Harold. The Mirror Image of Civil War Memory: Abraham Lincoln and
Jefferson Davis in Popular Prints. Fort Wayne, IN: Lincoln Museum, 1996.
- ____. Washington and Lincoln Portrayed: National Icons in Popular Prints.
Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 1993.
- Holzer, Harold, Gabor S. Boritt, and Mark E. Neely, Jr. Changing the Lincoln Image.
Fort Wayne, IN: Louis E. Warren Lincoln Library and Museum, 1985.
- ____. The Lincoln Image and the Popular Print. Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1984, 2001.
- Lincoln Image: Abraham Lincoln and the Popular Print. Indianapolis: Indiana Library and Historical Department, 1985.
- Fairbanks, Eugene F. Abraham Lincoln Sculpture Created by Avard T. Fairbanks.
Bellingham, Wash.: Fairbanks Art and Books, c2002.
- Moffatt, Frederick C. Errant Bronzes: George Grey Barnard’s Statues of Abraham Lincoln. Newark: University of Delaware Press, c1998.
Banner image obtained from Copyright-Free Images of Abraham Lincoln
c. Jenny Freed, 4-15-07